The first thing most people notice about your kitchen (besides how clean it is!) is the kitchen cabinet doors. Practically, it is most likely the first thing people look at when entering the kitchen.
So due to the “strategic” position that these cabinets hold, their design greatly determines the overall look of your kitchen. If you are moving into a new home or want to renovate your kitchen, you must familiarize yourself with the types of kitchen cabinet doors.
For most people, this might come off as a surprise as most of us have only seen flat panel cabinets all our lives. But where you can choose tiles and countertops, kitchen cabinet doors offer different options. To make things easy for you, in this article, we will discuss the two most popular types: Raised Panel and Flat Panel.
Once you are done reading this, we are sure you will easily figure out which kitchen cabinet door will blend in with the interior of your kitchen.
Raised panel cabinet doors are what we had seen in our homes growing up before the modern kitchens took over. Due to their fine finish and luxury, these cabinet doors are considered high-end to date. The doors are crafted with high-quality material that offers durability and a premium touch.
With a few ornaments like well-crafted handles, these doors are undoubtedly a symbol of elegance. So, if you admire woodwork with fine details, then raised panel kitchen cabinet doors are what your kitchen needs. The doors are better suited for people who like to keep things simple and are not a big fan of modern kitchen looks.
What Do They Look Like?
So, how do you identify these? As the name suggests, raised panel doors have a rising or elevated surface above the wood frame. They are pretty easy to differentiate due to their traditional and vintage-style look. Most of the raised panel cabinet doors that you will find have an arch or curved surface.
- The doors add warmth and an artistic look while elevating the luxurious feel of your kitchen
- It is excellent for people who want ornamental kitchen doors made with premium woodwork
- The raised surface of the doors adds an elaborate look to your kitchen and overall living space
- Raised panel cabinets come in the same category as crown molding and coffered ceilings
- You can flex your aesthetic sense and love for modern kitchens!
- The doors are high maintenance and require regular polishing and cleaning
- The extra details and edges need to be taken care of for better durability
- They are more costly in contrast to flat cabinet doors
For people who are all about modern interior designs and want to keep their house updated with a luxurious, present-day kitchen, flat panel kitchen cabinet doors are the answer. If you take the assistance of an interior designer, flat panel cabinets are what they are most likely to suggest.
The contemporary look of these doors perfectly blends in with the chic-design kitchens, whose flat surface complements the overall look.
What Do They Look Like?
Unlike raised panel cabinets, you will hardly find any flat doors with borders or curves on their edges. You will notice that their designs are made with straight lines and are more right-angled without any arches. Flat kitchen cabinet doors have a simple design without fine details or ornaments.
- The doors complement modern kitchen designs well
- You won’t have to regularly clean these as they are less likely to catch dust or grease
- Flat panel doors have a streamlined, aesthetic finish
- They are a great option for people who want affordable and sleek kitchen cabinet doors
- Even though flat panel doors are easy to maintain and clean, any marks or prints become visible on them quite easily
- The effortless design might not be appealing to everyone
- The doors might not last as long as raised panel doors
So Which One Should You Pick?
If you read here, the answer to this question is quite simple! Raised panel cabinet doors will work well in your kitchen if you want to stick to the traditional style. Moreover, although these doors cost a pretty penny, raised panel doors offer great durability that lasts for years.
On the other hand, if you are more into a new-style kitchen and don’t care as much about how long it will last, then flat panel cabinet doors will be your best bet.
Still confused about which one to pick? Putnam Design is here to help! Not only will we provide you with detailed consultation on how to bring your dream kitchen to life, but we will also help you build it. Reach out to us today to get the kitchen of your dreams!